Save our startups: UK innovation under threat
SFC Capital presents… Save our startups: UK innovation under threat. A look at the state, importance, and future of seed-stage investing.
About this event
For several years until 2018, investment prospects for seed-stage startups in the UK were on the up-and-up. But since then, both the number of first-time deals and their total value has fallen by more than 30%. Covid-19 and the poorly-structured Future Fund exacerbated a decline that was already in motion – and with the wildly successful SEIS and EIS schemes facing a sunset clause in just a few years, UK innovation is under threat.
SFC Capital, the UK’s most active seed-stage investor and network of business angels, invites you to dive into details of this problem – and discover some potential solutions, at its panel discussion, Save our startups: UK innovation under threat, organised in collaboration with Home Grown.
Moderated by The Times’s Enterprise Editor, James Hurley, and including politicians and industry leaders, the panel will discuss the current state of seed-stage investing in the UK and the changes that should be made to ensure that the next generation of innovative startups receive the support and opportunities they need to thrive and contribute to the post-Covid transformation of the UK economy.
- Howard Leigh, Lord Hurley
- Dean Russell, MP for Watford
- Husayn Kassai, entrepreneur and co-founder of Onfido
- Stephen Page, CEO and founder of SFC Capital
- Mark Brownridge, Director General, Enterprise Investment Scheme Association (EISA)
- James Hurley, Enterprise Editor, The Times
The panel will be followed by an audience Q&A and networking for those attending in person at Home Grown.
Join us – at Home Grown Club or online – on Monday, 27th September at 3:30pm
Please note :
- Please make sure you book an ‘In-person Ticket’ only if you are planning to join us at Home Grown. If at a later date you decide you cannot make it – or prefer to join us online – please cancel your ‘In-person Ticket’ or let us know at email@example.com so that we can do it for you.
- This event will be taking place indoors. As such and following UK Government recommendations, we advise that you wear a face covering wherever possible during the event.
- You must not enter the venue if you believe that you may have been infected with and/or have symptoms of Covid-19.
- Capacity is limited, and registration does not guarantee entry.
- The session may be recorded and footage may be distributed to the SFC Angel Network and/or used for marketing and publicity purposes.
- SFC reserves the right to use any photograph and/or recording taken at the event, without the expressed written permission of those included within the photograph, in publications or other media material produced, used or contracted by SFC including but not limited to: brochures, invitations, social media websites, etc.
Startups interested in fundraising through SFC Capital please apply on https://sfccapital.com/register/startup.